Friday, January 13, 2006

Cone of Silence

I have moved downstairs for work, into the isolation corner - it's the only space in the office where sound does not permeate. The silence is so deafening that the echo of quiet hurts. It's also a position where you have to look over a low partition into someone's face. Not that I am complaining about the view, its just disconcerting to look up after intensely concentrating on the placement of a piece of flashing, to see someone raise their eyebrows at you for no good reason except that they have been talking to you for the last ten minutes and you haven't realised. I am enjoying my new project, no one has worked on it for awhile and in such a state that all I can do is chuckle (so I nod and laugh to no one in particular, no one can hear me either so I just look like I am miming being insane)

This week I made our favourite wontons for dinner and a raspberry and cherry slice for my birthday work morning tea treat. I also made this slice and delivered it earlier in the week for H-L's and their new baby F (born on the date of J3's birthday - well done W). J1's Cousin and friend S and his partner H have also just had a baby, congratulations and my heartfelt tears - remember the mantra is 'the tiredness does end'.

I received some organic chocolate from 'the organic trader' called Cocolo in the mail over Christmas - I will be doing a taste test at work and will let you know the results (Thanks so much Jason).

Raspberry Slice Recipe
Base
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup icing sugar
125g unsalted butter

Filling
2 eggs
1 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of desiccated coconut or 1/2 cup ground almonds (or a mixture of both)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup fresh, tinned or frozen raspberries

Preheat oven to 180C, mix flour, icing sugar and butter together, put in microwave till butter melted, mix and press into baking tin, cook till crisp and golden.
Whisk eggs, caster sugar together, add flour, baking powder, salt, coconut, vanilla and lemon juice. Mix and fold in raspberries. Pour into base and cook for 40-45 mins till puffy and golden.

2 comments:

WillG said...

No-one deserves the "gift" of mime... no matter how lonely it is in that corner...

If you feel the urge to cook me something good before I leave... dont let me stop you *hint hint*

:)

Justine said...

Will - would love to cook you something but 1. You are only going to Italy on a holiday and 2. You don't like sweet things.

;) J