Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Minus Five

Oh my goodness, J3 started Preschool this week. We had the interview on Tuesday, I don't really think they were not going to let her in - but you know you have to be careful of the hoi polloi especially at those exclusive public schools. She had a great time and now does not want to go back to the 'daycarecentre' at all. She spent her day doing various activities - being read too, ink and acrylic painting, drawing, playdough, letter writing, pattern recognision, free play and outdoor playing.

I went to Sydney for a break this weekend - S and D asked me to come and stay as a birthday present, what a wonderful time I had - they have to be the kindest couple I know, thank you for looking after me. We went to Minus Five a room/bar at Circular Quay for Elica's birthday - the place was made of ice, even the glasses - very spectacular, expensive but what an experience - all of the party packed into a room, the place providing the appropriate attire so we would be able to withstand the freezing cold temperature, they also limit the time you are allowed in as well as alcohol consumption (3 vodkas) - one was enough, I had to hold the wall (or floor?) as I left the icy -11 degrees to the 1.3 degree anteroom. We then went to Wagamama's - the equivalent to the McDonald's of noodle bars. It was quick and tasty but pretty standard. The place did however have a great outlook and atmosphere being positioned on the edge of Darling Harbour.

On Saturday we went to breakfast at S's regular haunt Martini's on King Street - great breakfast's - lots of beans in most dishes and very tasty. We then headed off to Cabramatta - after a few exciting episodes with assorted people, we made it to the Vietnamese Mecca of Sydney - we saw less European's here than in Hong Kong. It was excellent, S and D knew all these great places to get specialty food stuffs and we came home to make a feast of chilli, salt and pepper baby squid, roll your own rice paper rolls (with the best sauce) and paw paw salad. D managed to drag himself out of bed to come as well, lovely to catch up with him too. I will publish some of the recipes this week after I make them for J1 and the kids.

Breakfast on King street again today then a bus ride home to a very contented family. J1 managed to do so much stuff and keep the kids happy as well. I also managed to get through the most amazing MP3 - Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, recommended science fiction for you young players.

The biggest Hap Hap Happy Birthday to G today - still only a puppy and we love you. Have a great night.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Hey thanks for your words Justine! Nice of you to think of us as kind, that's a lovely thing to say. We must have been on our best behaviour ;-)
But seriously you were a lovely guest, we had a great weekend and hope we can do it again sometime. And we'll land at your doorstep in Canberra sometime in the near future too.
Cool pictures also, by the way!

Justine said...

Thanks Donna - come and visit anytime - hope Charlie survived the furniture reorientation.

lv J