Last night I had a 'chef's toolbox' party. Its always a trauma having one of these nights - usually due to my being a novice host . I have been to enough parties to know what to expect but most of the people I invited hadn't ever been to one of these things - mainly due to the invited guest's gender. Having said that I had a great night, C was her effervescence self and she really believes in the product.Everyone got involved in the cooking and Cath gave some great tips - cutting tips, how to use a knife properly, making caramel etc. Mike of course had to have some quirky recipe, this one from a holiday in Prague - tomato base, banana, hot salami and cheese pizza. Who would have thought such a combination would be edible and yes it was great.
We made two pizza's - one on the stove in a pan and the other in the oven. The one made on the stove won the night and the base was a quick mix with no proving or waiting time. I do prefer the normal way to make a base - I love the whole process of making the dough as well as the wafting yeasty smell that infuses the kitchen while you wait. This one is good for when you don't have the time.
Quick Base for Pizza's
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
salt
1 teaspoon dried yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
Selected toppings
Combine all ingredients and roll out, put on preferred toppings and cook 190C for 20-39 mins.
We also made Portuguese Tarts, I was warned they should have been made with shortcrust pastry but what could I do, I only had Puff. I loved these they were flaky, warm, sweet and wobbly just like the one's you get at Yum Cha in Chinatown.






No comments:
Post a Comment