Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sweet Breads

I have been having coconut and banana bread at a local cafe (the Kingston Grind) every week now for afternoon tea. The breads are divine - served warm and crumbly, sprinkled with icing sugar and served with unsalted butter, with the smell of cinnamon and toasted coconut. I have tried to find a good recipe which works well toasted. The following one is adequate and the kids have asked for a slice every day now for a week. I have written to the Grind asking for the recipe and (fingers crossed) they may send it too me.

Coconut Bread
1 cup coconut (toasted-in dry pan till golden)
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup oil
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 160C. Mix dry ingredients together, in separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients, stir together and pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.

No comments: