Saturday, September 23, 2006

Slow the Flow


The kids and J1 are in Armidale for his 20th year TAS reunion dinner. The grandparents get to see the grandchildren, J1 gets to see his oldest and dearest friends and I get a weekend to myself.

I have been having a great time, going out with good (old and new) friends and family, going to the movies, digging the ground for a new deck, preparing the furniture to anoint the soon (I am promised) platform, painting, snacking it up - lots of little treats - limited carbohydrates and doing lots of exercise.

The house is so quiet I have to have the radio or at least the dishwasher on to counter the silence.

I have been thinking about new and old friends lately. Our dear friend S is getting married to someone we have met but don't know yet. When do you think you learn to work out what people think from things they don't say? and how do you know you have read someone correctly? Forming new friendships is a minefield of misinterpretation, you struggle to grasp what someone is not saying to you, while old ones nod in mellow agreement that it's ok not to understand all the time. Perhaps this is when you know you are now old friends, when interpretation can be ambiguous but it is safe to assume it doesn't matter.

2 comments:

WillG said...

Imagine the confusion when you suddenly discover that a number of your friends have become born again christians and blame you for their problems...

Justine said...

Yes the language of the lord has its own ambiguities but are you sure you weren't to blame before they became Christian's ;)